Sunday, December 19, 2010

It feels a lot like Christmas!!

First of all, I forgot to mention a few days ago that Lucky Charms are a delicacy here. At Selfridges we found a box that was over 7 quid. Crazy.
Today I experienced two different churches. I attended Stacey's church this morning. She told me there are around 40 people in the congregation, but today only around ten showed up. I have never been to a church so small, and it was a really interesting experience. Obviously, everybody knows everyone, and it seems like a big family. It was a rather exciting drive this morning with all of the snow on the ground, and I got to see several spots which inspired Tolkien's Lord of the Rings novels. I will be visiting these places later this week, so expect a very nerdy blog post later. 
I have officially become addicted to a good cuppa. Today I have probably had four cups...as I take another sip right now. I need to start being careful, or I am going to end up with some pretty stained teeth.
The darker drink in the picture above is a Norwegian Christmas drink. It is made warm, and you pour nuts and raisins into it before drinking. It tastes very good with Norwegian cheese and a cracker, which a girl from Norway gave to Stacey before we left school. 
This evening we attended a candlelight caroling service on a beautiful school campus. We sang some English carols, and some other traditional carols. Tonight was one of my first times experiencing culture shock when they started singing different versions of tunes I knew. I also experienced culture shock again when the pastor invited us to the building next door for mulled wine and mince pies. My stomach is still warm =]
Today we are filling our night with a movie and some more Doctor Who. Tomorrow we are finally going to see Voyage of the Dawn Treader and go shopping in the city centre and German market again!

No comments:

Post a Comment