Thursday, December 30, 2010

J'adore Paris

Today was my favorite day in Paris so far. We woke up rather early and went to the same bakery for breakfast. This morning the three of us got Pain au Chocolat. Matt and I then walked around trying to find Maddie who went to top up her phone. After some confusion and finally finding each other, we made our way to Notre Dame! We had a beautiful walk from our apartment and down the Seine.

When we got to Notre Dame there was a very, very long line. We decided that we are going to try to go inside another day, but we still walked around outside and took pictures. We also stayed to listen to the bells ring, which was a very cool experience. 
We ate lunch at a little cafe near Notre Dame. I had a sandwich which was basically toast with ham and cheese melted on top. We didn't have any problems with muggers today, but I was charged 5 euros for my cup of diet coke. That was a surprise, but now I have learned just to order water whenever I go inside a restaurant here. 

After looking around in some shops and buying something for my mom and dad, we decided to go and do some shopping in some stores we've been walking past throughout our trip here. Most of the stores here are way too expensive--but it was fun trying on clothes and looking at jewelry and purses. After standing in a line with Maddie for what seemed like half an hour, Matt told us he was feeling sick, so we walked back to our apartment as quickly as we could. He decided to stay behind while Maddie and I did some more shopping. After we were done shopping we went to Starbucks and I tried a drink I had not tried before! It was a tea frappucino, which according to the menu was 'an iced drink and hit flavors raspberry, cassis, white grape and cassis.' 
We sat in Starbucks for awhile and talked while Maddie drew. 
After awhile we decided to go exploring some some streets we had not yet traveled down. We found a lot more clothing stores, but we also came across a photography gallery! There were pictures of city landscapes, people, the ocean, and others. After some more exploring we decided to walk back to the apartment to see how Matt was doing. We ended up buying him a baguette and then leaving him for the evening. Maddie and I had a wonderful night! We began with crepes at the restaurant right next to our apartment. I had a sugar crepe, which I had at Disney World this time last year.....I think I liked the one from Disney better, but I'm not complaining! We then planned on going to the ferris wheel and just walk around. To get to the ferris wheel we had to walk through the Louvre which was absolutely beautiful. It may have been one of the most beautiful things I have seen since I have moved to this side of the world. My camera doesn't like taking pictures when it's dark outside, so I couldn't fully capture the beauty. But here's a snapshot:
As we began to walk towards the pyramids we heard some beautiful music coming from the archway. There was a man playing a cello...and he was very good. He was also in a spot which created the perfect photo opportunity.
By this point I had fallen in love with Paris...and I realized why Paris is known as the city of lights. We took some more pictures, went inside of the big pyramid and then moved on towards the ferris wheel.
We didn't have to wait in any sort of line once we arrived, which was a surprise to both Maddie and myself. Sadly, there was too much fog so the Eiffel Tower wasn't visible tonight. I'm hoping we will be able to see it for New Years tomorrow or over the next couple days we are here. But we saw the Arc De Triomph clearly, which was breathtaking. When we were done on the ferris wheel we watched a dance group from Texas who were perfoming next to the wheel, and then we began our walk back to our flat. 
We stopped in a couple shops and we went to McDonalds after we promised each other we wouldn't go to it at all while we were in Paris (we spent too much time hanging out in McDonalds in Edinburgh). But Maddie and I were both hungry and it sounded really great at that moment. We made it back to our apartment, told Matt all about our adventures and have now been uploading pictures, skyping and watching the Van Gogh Doctor Who episodes...since we may be going to Musee D'Orsay tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment