Friday, December 17, 2010

My first experience of Birmingham

Today was filled with shopping, food and laughter. After staying up until the wee hours of the morning, we had an early start and walked around the city of Birmingham, which is the second biggest city in the UK--according to what I have heard. We started by walking down Stratford Road which is a very asian area with outdoor fruit stands, scarves, asian sweets, and also Indian clothing.

We then took a bus to the city centre, where we shopped. I felt at home when we found a Starbucks and a Forever 21!
Since I have been at Capernwray I have gone to Starbucks probably around five times. It may seem a lot for some people, but that is hardly anything for me. So when I do find a Starbucks, I have to take a picture and at least smell the shop. I have an addiction to peppermint mochas, so I treated myself to one today. With the Starbucks we enjoyed some asian sweets Stacey bought on Stratford Road.



It was great being in the mall and seeing all of the overly expensive clothing and a box of lucky charms which cost 7 pounds and 49p! I realized how much I have missed civilization.
Here is the church outside of the mall...and the big silver building is Selfridges:


I was excited to walk inside H&M and realize how cheap the clothes are here! And of course we had to go to Primark where I bought a jacket and several tops. After we spent too much money at the shopping centres we walked to the German market which is full of food, handmade crafts and more!
It was great to experience the hustle and bustle of the market, and the lights and trees lit up the city!

We made it back to my roommate Stacey's house and enjoyed tea and have been relaxing around the house. One of the girls staying here needs to leave at 3:30 in the morning, so we are staying up with her watching movies and enjoying our last few hours together for the next few weeks until we go back to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment